Sunday, November 29, 2015

Saturday Night 7:30 pm

Dear Family and Friends,

What do we do with imperialism? I mean I'm the first to admit that my way is usually the best not to mention most efficient way of doing things. But when I really step back and reflect is that a universal truth or a truth for me alone? If my family (or anyone close to me) is reading this they would surely have a different "truth" to speak!  

This afternoon we heard from Maria Silvia Guillen a lawyer and ex-director of FESPAD ("a national organization dedicated to the development of a just and democratic El Salvador through the correct application of the law, especially around human rights.") She spoke with a deep passion for the people and society of El Salvador, she spoke with a desire to find a better way, she spoke with an urgency that makes me question, "what is my role?"  From where I stand where can I go and what can I do? And maybe the simple sharing and passing on of the story is mine to do ...

Maria spoke of imperialism, she shared that the United States is too involved in El Salvador and that a government who does not know the culture and people should not be dictating it. I don't know what the answer is ... I do not know enough of the political and social situation of the country to, as of yet, make an informed opinion on this matter—but what I can definitively say is that her words cannot be ignored and one must spend time to look into the truth they hold before really holding an opinion on them.
 
But I go back to my opening thought ... When it comes to imperialism is there ever really a "universal way"? Maybe the better way is dialogue? And isn't that what this week is about? I hope that's what I can pass on to you. We all need to be a little bit more open to conversation and let go of the way we "know" is best ... Because that's the space where magic happens and human dignity is restored!

Tomorrow is sure to be a long day ... I should attend to resting my body!

Con bendiciones,

Sarita 



No comments:

Post a Comment