Saturday, November 28, 2015

Saturday 1:00 pm Mid-Flight

Dear Family and Friends,

I could say the first leg of the journey is going smoothly if it weren’t for the uninterrupted stream of turbulence we are experiencing.  I always say turbulence is just like a roller coaster ride with the slight exception of being 30 thousand feet off the ground--which I agree makes it a bit more unsettling.  But in some ways the “unsettling-transition” of my flight seems oddly appropriate of my travels to El Salvador, a country whose very history is riddled with all things “unsettled.”

As I prepared for my time in El Salvador I read the Pre-Delegation Packet provided by SHARE to become acquainted with the history and present state of the country.  I thank SHARE for their thorough and poignant introduction.  El Salvador has a bleak history in which the years of the Civil War (1980-1992) brought so much violence, death, and unrest to the Salvadoran People.  But what we sometimes . . . often . . . forget, or maybe ignore, or maybe we are, at times, simply too pessimistic to realize . . . is the thread of hope that has woven itself through this seemingly dark time.  The women we are remembering (what this whole week is about) are themselves by the very lives they chose to live, symbols of hope.  They gave voice to the voiceless and watched over the lost and forgotten, and for the sake of securing human dignity gave their lives along with Oscar Romero and the Jesuit Martyrs.

These seeds of hope planted by the life blood of those martyred steadily grows in El Salvador.  Oscar Romero proclaimed shortly before his death that if he were killed he would be resurrected in the Salvadoran People.  As we continue on our way I look forward to experiencing not only the stories of these people but the hope that has stemmed from those who have gone before!

Con bendiciones y amor,

Sara


No comments:

Post a Comment