Friday, December 4, 2015

Thursday Night 10 pm

Dear Family and Friends,

What an incredible day!! Today was a day of peace and joy and celebration! I write to you tucked away under my mosquito netting in the home of Rojalio and Angela—two beautiful people from the town of San Antonio de los Ranchos. The people of this town ... Where the Maryknoll sisters lived and ministered ... Is filled with unbelievable hospitality! 

I am getting ahead of my self! Let me start with this afternoon when we arrived at the cemetery where Maryknoll sisters Carla, Ita, and Maura are buried.  We had a beautiful prayer service to give witness to their incredible legacy. We sang Carey Landry's song "women of the church"—which I learned today the fifth verse was written for the four women martyred here in El Salvador.




After the cemetery we made our way to the local church where we celebrated the women's lives. What is most evident to me is the incredible faith and solidarity of the people here! They love the sisters so much ... And in turn love all of us who travel from the States because we represent to them the people who care and continue to support the people of El Salvador to be in solidarity with our brothers and sisters! 




After Mass we processed down a road with lanterns ... Singing ... Proclaiming praise for the lives of the martyrs!



We passed by the location where Sr. Carla drown. If you don't know her story you should definitely take time to look her up! I knew nothing of her, what I have learned is that she is one of the Maryknoll sisters who lived here. During the rainy season Sisters Carla and Ita were in a car that was overtaken by flood waters ... Carla pushed Ita out of the car to safety but she herself drown. It is beautiful that she is held up right along side the other women. To me that demonstrates that the people have such great admiration and love for the sisters not because they died for them but because they lived for them! 

This evening we had the most wonderful celebration with the people!  With fireworks!!!


And children singing ...


And now I am so incredibly happy to have the opportunity to stay with the people!!!  Plus it finally gave me the opportunity to really use my Spanish for which I am grateful! And surprised how well I could actually do! 

So now amidst the sounds of distant dogs barking and chickens squawking I will drift into dreams of hope and faith and in prayer of a world more united as we were tonight!

Con mucho amor y con Esperanza,

Sarita  

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sara,

    I work with a women's network in Australia called Mamamia and I was wondering if you would be like to answer a couple of questions for me?

    I read a couple of articles about you online and I was really inspired how not only you managed to stay true to yourself and your faith.

    Please email me at madelinemccreanor@ymail.com if you would like to discuss further. There will of course be an opportunity to promote the work your sisters do.

    Have a lovely day.

    Kind Regards,

    Madeline McCreanor

    ReplyDelete