Saturday, December 5, 2015

Saturday Afternoon

Dear  Family and Friends,

I made it through customs in Dallas and am now on my way to Philly.  I only spent a week in El Salvador but I'm still finding it difficult to say "thank you" in place of "Gracias."  Before I reflect on the week as a whole I have some catching up to do.  Yesterday did not end until late last night and having to rise at 4 am for a 7:30 am flight (which never happened--more on that in a moment) I thought the flight time would be the appropriate time to reflect and share on the past 32 hours.

Yesterday we awoke in San Antonio de Las Ranchos, I could say to the crow of the rooster, but he'd actually been crowing all night!  So I suppose a more authentic discription of my rising was the sound of the women working.  Buckets of water were be sloshed about, conversation had commenced, children could be heard playing and no I didn't sleep in--this was all happening around 6 am!  Life is not easy there in the village.  The house I stayed in had plumbing . . . I'm not sure I can call it "indoor plumbing" as it was on the porch, but some houses where our group stayed had no plumbing but rather an outhouse in the backyard. 




"Te quierido" Angela, the grandmother in our house, spoke to me as she hugged me goodbye.  She hugged me with such love and compassion as if we were long time dear friends who had to say goodbye.  If only every person we encountered could feel that, imagine what our world could look like with human arms embracing in place of bearing arms in defence.  Some  may say it's utopian, but I believe in that world!  And I hope to live in it someday!


Breakfast seemed to be left overs from the party the night before . . . which no one was complaing about as they were so delicious everyone wanted more!  Plus there was a hot chocolate which was delicious!  And a band serenading us as we ate!  What a vibrant and life filled people!  What a beautiful community with whom to spend these two days!




We were soon on the road to San Jose Las Flores, another town in Chalatenango for our final presentation.  On the way the bus drove over the bridge where the accident that took Sr. Carla's life occurred.  We paused a moment on the bridge to remember her.  In my own continued grieving process of losing my daddy I can't help but be encouraged and held up by the "remembering" these people do.  It is beautiful!  We must continue to tell the stories of those who went before us . . . we must hold them alive in our hearts and in our communities and families.  Because in remembering we still have them!  It will never be the same as it was but it is something new and resurrected.

Once we arrived we were welcomed into a beautiful scene of palm trees, and foilage that was the perfect amount of shade and sun.  We came to listen to the inspiring stories of the women there who talked about their experience with organizing women's groups, vegetable gardens, and other women's initiatives that SHARE supports.  These women were incredibly strong.  Many of them seemed around my age which means their entire childhood was one of war and violence.  Yet they stood before us smiling, laughing, joking, and sharing their stories of hope and courage!  When I say they "organize women's groups" I do not mean Sunday bible studies or book clubs.  These women have stood up for their rights and communities in incredible ways.  The most striking for me was their work to end mining in the area.  These women would actually follow after the companies pulling up markers that had been measured out for their work.  These women did not want the unhealthy environment that it would cause, they spoke of the desire for "Healthy water, not gold."  They help women in situations of domestic violence--when asked how they assist the women one said, "First, we castrate the man."  She was joking of course . . . but it is this sense of devotedness to the safety and security of those who are abused and abandoned that spoke deeply to me.




It was not long after that we found ourselves back on the bus.  What was suppose to be a two hour bus ride ended up being much longer due to major traffic.  I guess Friday afternoons are terrible even in El Salvador!!!

Our last evening in San Salvador was one of joy and celebration!  The SHARE foundation treated us to a party down town to celebrate all that we have done together in this week.  I was asked what I would take away from this experience and I think the answer for me is humility.  I came to engage in the culture of El Salvador, I came to experience the stories of the Martyrs, I came to be in solidarity.  I did not expect there to be such joy over my being here, I didn't think anyone would really take notice I guess . . . I'm just Sara from PA.  I'm really nobody.  But the people of El Salvador made me feel so important . . . and not in such a way as putting me on a pedastal . . . but in a way of solidarity.  They were so incredibly touched by our coming and being "with" them.  They were grateful that we came despite overwhelming stories of "danger" meant to instill fear.  They welcomed us with open arms as if we were long lost family members returning home after a long journey.  



I hope if any of them ever come to the US that we too could welcome them with the same hospitality and open arms into which we were received!

I will continue to share some reflections in the coming days as I reenter my own culture and schedule.  But as it has been a LONG day already and one that is not over yet I will leave it here for no!  Oh, that flight that never happend!  Upon arriving at the airport this moring at 5:30 we learned that our plane was delayed . . . I was told due to the plane not making it in the night before because of "meetings", other were told they "lost a plane" . . . and finally, the one that takes the cake, "because of volcanos."  Whatever the reason our flight was delayed which meant we would miss our connection in Miami so we were rerouted to later flights.  All in all it's not terrible we will be arriving about three hours later than orginially planned . . . could be worse.  Plus, I'm pretty adjusted to "latino time" after this week, so I'm feeling pretty patient!  

Con amor,

Sarita

No comments:

Post a Comment